Thursday, June 3, 2010

Musings of a Madman

This is my first attempt at a blog.  I haven't spent alot of time on other peoples' blogs, so I don't really know what the protocols are, so basically I'm going to make it up as I go.

I have many interests, many hobbies and many things that occupy my mind.  I don't know how to be bored.  What all this means is I might talk about Halloween on one post and my visit to see The Rolling Stones in Denver on the next.  Perhaps as I get more material I will find a way to organize it, but for right now, what you get is what you get.  I'm not sure I'm interesting enough for a blog, but I do know that I am geeky enough for one.

I have an M.F.A. in Scene Design for Theatre from Mankato State University (which has been changed to The State University of Minnesota at Mankato), a B.A. in Theatre with a dual major in Psychology From Brigham Young University, and an A.A.S in General Studies from Ricks College.  I currently teach Theatre at a private university somewhere in Idaho.

I have been married happily since 1984 and have sired six immediate offspring and am the proud grandpa of three little grandsons (as of 2009).  

My father, along with three other men, started The Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone, Montana in 1964 so I grew up for four months of the year in Montana and eight months of the year in Idaho.  In the spring and fall, for two weeks each, we had to travel back and forth from Idaho to Montana because of school and work up in the theatre.  I remember knowing as a small boy that I was actually magic because I could go to sleep in my bed in Montana and wake up in my bed in Idaho.

In 1983 I was diagnosed with Giardia Lamblia even though the doctor who diagnosed me never found any of the flagellated protozoans in the uh, uhm, uh specimens I gave him.  I spent 26 years dealing with the after effects of that, until last summer I went to another doctor for a different thing and mentioned to him the plight of my guts and he ran some tests.  He found that rather than having a malevolent parasite lodged irrevocably in my bowels, I happen to be allergic to Milk, Soy, and Gluten.  I spent 26 years dealing with a stomach ache and all that goes with it (no need to be overly graphic here, you can imagine).  I have been gluten free since last July (2009) and have been mostly milk free since then (I will cheat on cheese, it seems the further processed it is the easier it is for my body to deal with it) and mostly soy free (I will cheat on chocolate a little, because I'm an addict, but not like it was before).  In addition to Milk, Soy, and Gluten, I am also allergic to Shellfish and Celery.  Celery of all things.  I am also Insulin Resistant, and I have High Cholesterol.  I ask you, what can I eat?  Everyone I talk to about my plight says I should eat vegetables.  I tell them that my food eats vegetables and I don't eat what my food eats.  I told the doctor I wasn't coming back because every time I saw him he took something else away from me.

I'll talk about me some more later.  I believe I'm tired enough to go to bed.

No comments: